Do you have your own boarding house?
- Yes, we have two boarding houses, both off campus. You can find more information here.
Do you offer host family accommodation?
- No. All international students who are not living with their family/guardian must live in School accommodation.
Do you do exeat weekends?
Do you offer single rooms?
- We have a limited number of single rooms. They are mainly for the use of Year 13 students. They are subject to a supplement charge.
Are the bathrooms en-suite?
- In most rooms, yes. Any that aren’t en-suite have a bathroom exclusively for that room immediately outside their bedroom door. Showers are private cubicles; we do not have any multiple shower rooms.
What will my room look like?
- In your room you will have a comfortable bed, a desk, a wardrobe and drawers as well as bed storage, so you can unpack your suitcase and make yourself at home. You can personalise your room and display photos and posters on the noticeboards provided.
Is there internet access?
- All rooms have free internet access, but it is limited at night time to make sure you get a good night’s sleep. Those times are displayed on noticeboards around the house. The internet is filtered to stop restricted web content.
Are there activities at weekends?
- Yes, there are trips and activities offered each weekend. Junior students up to Year 9 take part in all those outings. Older students can exercise a choice.
Is there an extra charge for weekend activities?
- If there are costs involved (such as an entrance ticket or train fare), then yes. Payment will be taken from the student’s Activities Fund, which parents contribute to each term so no cash exchange is necessary.
Will my child get a chance to visit London?
- Most terms there will be at least one trip to London
Are all meals included?
- Breakfast and dinner are provided in the boarding house, lunch is at school. There are also some little snacks available in the boarders’ kitchen where students can make toast, use a microwave to heat up food and have a choice of fruit and hot drinks
- At weekends we serve brunch between 11:00 and 12:00, and supper between 18:00 and 19:00.
What if my child has an allergy or certain food intolerance?
- As long as you mention any such issues on the Medical Form, we will manage any dietary requirements.
Do you have a laundry service?
- Yes, in each house. For most students this is managed by the boarding staff. Sixth formers are encouraged to take some responsibility for their own clothes but help is always at hand!
Are the children supervised in the boarding house?
Are they able to leave the boarding house unsupervised?
- Students can only leave the boarding house with permission of staff. Parents can decide on what conditions their child can leave the house (i.e. alone or with a small group). Various degrees of freedom apply to different age groups. Safety is our priority at all times.
Can my child attend a place of religious worship in the area?
- There are a range of opportunities locally and we will always help children attend a place of worship, should they wish to.
How far is the school from London?
- Approximately 65 miles, or 1 hour 40 minutes by direct train
What is the closest airport?
- London Gatwick – 75 minutes by car
- London Heathrow – 120 minutes by car
Is the airport transfer included in the fee?
Does the school arrange airport transfers?
- Yes, provided we receive sufficient notice and full details. The Boarding staff arrange transfer to airports as well as pick-ups. There is a modest extra charge for an ‘unaccompanied minor’ service.
Can I visit my child during the term?
- Yes, but you must consult with the school and provide at least 5 days’ notice. If the child is to leave the boarding house for any time, we must have full details.
Do students wear uniform?
- Up to Year 11, yes. Students in Year 12/13 (6th Form) wear their own choice of business suit. Please see full guidance in the International Parents’ handbook.
Is the uniform included in the fee?
How do I order my child’s uniform?
- Via the School’s uniform supplier. Details are in the Handbook
What else should my child bring?
- Casual and smart clothes. Towels. Personal sports equipment (tennis racquet etc.). No sheets are needed.
- If your child arrives without something, the Boarding staff will help.
Is bed linen provided?
- Yes, sheets, duvet, duvet cover and pillowcases are provided
Will I be able to speak to my child at the boarding house?
- Yes. There is broadband in the houses so you can Skype/facetime up until ‘lights out’. Students up to Year 11 hand in their phones at bedtime in order to enjoy a good night sleep.
Does my child need to bring a laptop?
- Generally not, but most Boarders prefer to bring a laptop to use the internet and complete their homework. It also depends on age and programme of study
Did we answer you question? If not, please get in touch with us today!